Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Hampi and Bangalore...

Four of us took off for the weekend with no real plans in mind. We had train tickets to Hampi and Bangalore, but no real plan in mind. Thanks to Lonely Planet we had some great suggestions on where to stay and places to visit throughout our trip.. Hampi is an old ruined city with lots of monkeys crowding the streets looking to harass tourist. Luckily, we all came through with only one incident that left us all running from a monkey wanting to share Pam’s snack of carrots. The carrots were lost, but we were saved without being attacked. We also managed to rent some motor bikes to cruise around Hampi. The bikes proved to be easy to acquire with me ‘passing’ the driving test with flying colors (I only had to verbally confirm that I had driven a motorbike and had a license for one in the US…neither of which is true, but I was still handed the keys).
We then headed out on a train to Bangalore where we met up with Jim, an American we had met on a previous train ride. Jim and the rest of the group hung around Bangalore all day being dragged around by our ‘tour guide’, which was a man that had a sketchy van. When offered a ride, we immediately jumped in this van and set off on our day of adventure. The highlight of the day wasn’t the beautiful gardens or crowded market, but a BAGEL SHOP!!! That is right!!! In the middle of the city we found a bagel shop where I had my first bagel and cream cheese in months. I was also able to visit a McDonalds!!!! I didn’t my get my usual quarter pounder (remember no beef), but settled with a chicken sandwich, fries, and fountain pepsi. Life is good.




No comments: