Thursday, August 5, 2010

Fight or Flight...

It all started with a roach...
Several of us were hanging out in our bedroom when a roach flew into the room. We (Jacqi, Allison, and I) were all screaming and going on. Well, Allison, Jacqi, and I high tail it out of the room with screams and pushing one another out of the way. I may have pushed Jacqi into a wall. Do you know the saying ‘Fight or Flight’? Well, it is said that everyone during a time of extreme crisis has either ‘Fight or Flight’ responses. People are born with it; you can’t change or help it. Well, the 3 of us responded in the ultimate Flight. I was the first one out of the room due to the push past of Jacqi, she was then right behind me, with Allison trailing behind us. I ran into the ‘common area’ and then something just came over me. This emotion of ‘I have to save them, I’m their only hope’. …. I had this barbaric ‘Fight’ response all of a sudden. I grabbed the nearest flippy flops on the ground and 180 back into the danger. I literally ran into Allison full force, shoved her out of the way, and dove at the roach crawling across the floor. I missed the first time and it was scurrying under my bed; so dove on my belly to kill the formidable foe. The girls erupted in a cheer and pats on the back while I hunched over in nausea and after shocks of fear. I had to sit down after such an adrenaline rush and practiced some depth breathing exercises while I was continuously affirmed by the roomies over and over. Allison, graciously disposed of the dead carcass, but all was not over. After the emotional situation we (Allison, Jacqi, and I) decided we needed “Shark Week 2010: Air Jaws’ episode. We crowded in our common area, set up my laptop, and speakers (these speakers were stolen out of an office at Rajagiri and are from circuit 1989). To get a visual, the laptop was on the table and the speaker wire was strung across the walkway to plug in the only outlet in the room. It was dark by then and we were about 30 minutes into episode. All of a sudden from another room we hear “HOLY #$(@”. We all jumped up (minding the speaker cord) and rush into the other room. ‘There’s another one!’ Gabby screams. The ‘Flight’ response was back in full force .Out of the room runs Jacqi (who is climbing over the chairs), Allison (headed right for the speaker wire plugged into my laptop), and myself. Allison is full speed ahead towards the wire and the ultimate destruction of my laptop when I grab her around the waist and some how manage to unplug the wire. I let her go, safely saving my laptop, and she runs into the corner (afterwards when recapping the story to her she states “What!!? I had no idea’…her ‘Flight’ response was in full force). I ran after her as Jacqi (remember she is leaping over chairs) is safely in our corner. The roach (not by me) is killed with a hairbrush and all is over in a matter of seconds. We all had a good laugh about ‘surrendering to India’ (our new life motto here).



(I drew this to celebrate Shark Week)

1 comment:

Mary said...

Oh my...sounds like you would be an EXCELLENT ER Nurse b/c of the "fight" you have in you. I always knew you were in denial. Nice shark drawing, I'm impressed.